Sunday, September 28, 2008

Joy's Bridal Shower


My good friend got engaged about 2 weeks ago, and got married this weekend!! That doesn't leave much time for a shower, so I threw an impromptu shower. It was such a fun night. We had some appetizers and snacks, and best of all...CUPCAKES!!!

I haven't been able to stop thinking about the delicious cupcakes I got at Sprinkles, on the way home from Wicked. One of their new flavors was Key Lime with a cream cheese frosting. I told Joy about them, knowing she loved Key Lime flavored things, and she was on board. Like any amature baker, I searched online for recipes. I was able to come up with a pretty darn close recipe by taking parts of 3 different recipes. I will post the recipe below. I am so bummed I forgot to take a picture of the cupcakes. They looked so pretty!! If you look in the bottom left corner you can see a little bit of the cupcakes. I took the rest to work the day after, and they were devoured in no time!!

I don't know what is in the water (apparently it isn't in the tap water I drink), but I have 2 other sets of friends that are getting married next weekend. I am really happy for all of them!! So, this Tuesday, I have one more shower to throw. I am going to make red velvet cupcakes this time! YUMMY!!!


Key Lime Cupcakes


For the cupcakes:
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup butter
4 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. In another larger bowl beat eggs, and sugar with electric mixer till light and foamy (about 2 minutes). While beating, gradually pour in the butter and then the vanilla. While mixing slowly, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Take care not ot over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly into 2 (12count) lined cupcake pans (about 1/3 cup per cupcake). Bake until a tester comes out clean 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove. Cool completely on the rack.


For the lime syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lime juice

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on low heat just till sugar disolves. When finished, dip the tops of the cupcakes in syrup. Make a double dip if you aren't afraid of limes!!


For the frosting:
8 tbsp butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
5+ cups powdered sugar, sifted

Beat butter and cream cheese till combined. Add lime juice and zest. Mix in powdered sugar till frosting consistence.

Frost cupcakes an garnish with lime zest curls!

2 comments:

Lindsay JJ said...

Yay! I am so glad that you are blogging! Welcome!
First off, I love WICKED too! My hubby took me to see it in NY Nov. 06. I want to see it again already.
Second..... I love key lime..... I love cupcakes..... my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it! I can't wait to make this recipe! Thanks for doing all the leg work to tweak this recipe..... yum yum!
Look forward to keeping in touch!

Crystal said...

I made some red velvet cupcakes the other day and they were pretty good. I tried injecting frosting into them, but so did not have the right tools for that, so I bought a giant syringe for my next attempt. Filled cupcakes just sound so much more tempting than regular ones to me!