Saturday, October 25, 2008

More Cupcakes!

Tonight we had a little social at the church. The activities committee asked everyone to bring something made of pumpkin or apples. They let us vote on all the entries...sadly mine didn't win a prize. I just like to think that their pallettes weren't sophisticated enough...but I can already think of a couple ways to make it taste better. Last night, I started making the little cakes, and the batter was too runny, I thought it looked wrong, but I baked them anyway. I was right, there was too much liquid, they were either flat on the top or sunken in the middle, but it tasted fine. I knew that it wouldn't be sufficient for a bake off, so like any wannabe baker, I scrapped it and started over. This time, i added more flour...but again, it ended up being too dry of a cupcake. Anyway, I will include the recipe at the end of the post. If you have any suggestions to make it better, I would love the advice! Here is a pic of the cupcakes...at least they looked pretty. Greg (one of the best amature chefs I know) suggested I add chopped apples in the cake part, and he gave me a high five for the frosting...he was excited that it involved an apple cider reduction.

This was the most creative entry...it didn't win a prize for obvious reasons (no pumpkin or apples) but you have to give a guy props for bringing an entry.

This is one of the Sister Missionaries assigned to our ward...She is so nice and pretty!

Here is her companion...again, super nice! It is fun working with them and getting to know them better.

From epicurious.com
Apple Cider Cupcakes wiht Cider Cream Cheese Icing
For the cupcakes:
3 cups unpasteurized apple cider
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (I ended up adding more)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing:
2 cups apple cider
6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
Cupcakes:
In a large saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1 to 1 1/2 cups and let it cool. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together the shortening and the sugar until the mixture is fluffy and beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Into the bowl sift together the flour, the cloves, the cinnamon, the baking soda, and a pinch of salt, stir in the reduced cider, and combine the mixture well. Divide the batter among 18 paper-lined 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack, let them cool in the tins, and remove them from the tins.
Icing:
In a saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup and let it cool. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese, the confectioners' sugar, the reduced cider, and a pinch of salt until the icing is smooth. (I added the remaining 2 oz. and added more powdered sugar till it was sturdy enough to pipe in a pastry bag)
Spread each cupcake with some of the icing.


















2 comments:

apple slice said...

Your piping is a dream. You must give piping lessons. Love the images of the sisters. The reduction is indeed impressive. These should have been ideal. I applaud you.

Crystal said...

I am sad the recipe doesn't work as well as you wanted! I still want to try the recipe though. I will tell you how it goes when I do.

PS-Do you think Olivia would call that sister missionary shiny?