This is a big deal in California!! For those of you not living here, or who aren't aware of what this is, here is the simple story: A few years back, Calfornia passed Prop 22 that states marriage in California is between a man and a woman. Earlier this year judges in California overturned this vote that 61% of California voted on. Prop 8 will put into California's constitution stating marriage to be between a man and a woman. The things that will happen if this is not passed is frightening!! I am concerned for the families I know, and I am concerned for the family I hope to have someday. Family is incredibly important to me!!
In 1996, our church issued a proclamation to the world. In its first sentences it says: "We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." (to read more visit http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,00.html ) I remember when this proclamation was issued. It was read during the annual General Relief Society Meeting. Just before reading this, our prophet and president of our church said:
"With so much of sophistry that is passed off as truth, with so much of deception concerning
standards and values, with so much of allurement and enticement to take on the slow stain of
the world, we have felt to warn and forewarn. In furtherance of this we of the First
Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles now issue a proclamation to the Church and
to the world as a declaration and reaffirmation of standards, doctrines, and practices relative to
the family which th'e prophets, seers, and revelators of this church have repeatedly stated
throughout its history."
What powerfull words!!! I think back to that time, and what a different time it was back then and how much simpler the world was then. When he read that during conference, my initial reaction was "isn't this everything we already know and believe"? Now I understand how important this proclaimation was and why it was sent to the whole world. It is something I completely believe in, and something worth fighting for. Which is why Prop 8 is so important to me!
It is hard to believe that those judges used their power in such a despicable way. It makes me so mad. Now it is time to take a stand!! Stand for what you believe in! Stand for the morals you have!! If you don't know much about it, please visit protectmarriage.com they have a great website. Spread the word and tell your friends and neighbors to vote yes on Prop 8.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Post a Comment